Mother's Day – Chalkstream Trout
Whole Roast Trout with Blood Oranges, Fennel, Dill and Toasted Hazelnuts (serves 8-10)
Celebrate Mother's Day with some Chalkstream Trout, roasted whole with slices of blood orange, fennel and dill and topped with toasted hazelnuts. The short blood orange season is coming to an end, so this recipe makes the most of this beautiful seasonal fruit that brings a citrussy freshness to the fish.
Here we have used Harvest Bundle seller Chalkstream Foods' 'The Gleamer', a whole large Chalkstream trout. You can absolutely use a fillet of trout instead if you are cooking for less people, but we really recommend using the whole fish – it is super impressive, and the result is deliciously moist fish full of flavour (and you'll have lots of leftovers for the next couple of days!).
- Whole large Chalkstream trout, gutted (2.2 – 2.5kg)
- 5 x blood oranges
- 3 x fennel bulbs
- 1 x large bunch of dill
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 x garlic cloves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g blanched hazelnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C
- Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 5 minutes until golden, then roughly chop or pound in a pestle and mortar
- Thinly slice the blood oranges, fennel bulbs and garlic cloves and toss together in a large bowl with a good glug of olive oil, a large pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Roughly chop the bunch of dill and add to the bowl
- Line large baking tray or dish with baking parchment and spread over a third of the blood orange/fennel mixture and lay the whole trout on top. Season the inside of the trout with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, then place another third of the blood orange/fennel mixture inside the cavity of the trout. Scatter the remaining third part of the mixture on top of the trout
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes
- Scatter the toasted chopped hazelnuts on top of the fish and serve alongside buttered new potatoes and crushed peas
About the Chef:
Em Winser, a graduate of Ballymaloe Cookery School, has worked as a chef since 2017 in top London restaurants, leading corporates and travelled the UK extensively to cook privately.
Em writes exclusively for Harvest Bundle to bring her seasonal recipes from her favourite Harvest Bundle farmers so you can enjoy the best farm fresh produce all year round. See what she’s cooking: